It’s just two weeks into 2019, but most people have already broken or abandoned the New Year’s resolutions they were so determined to stick with on Jan. 1.
The lifespan of most New Year’s resolutions is 30 days or less, according to recent studies. Additional research shows that while some last a little longer, 80 percent of the New Year’s resolutions people make have failed by the second week in February.
But two St. Louis lifestyle coaches want to change that and help people make 2019 the year they stick to their resolutions and achieve their goals.
Health and lifestyle coach Shirlie Canup of Put Nutrition In Its Place, LLC, and certified coach and life mastery consultant Donalee Gastreich of Complete Solutions in Life Mastery, want to get people into what they’re calling “A New Year’s State of Mind.”
The pair has teamed up with the Cortex business community and partnered with MOVE by BJC to host a week of workshops, coaching sessions and fitness classes to help put people on a path of success toward their New Year’s resolutions. The events will take place Jan. 14-18 at CIC@CET at 20 S. Sarah Street and MOVE by BJC at 4220 Duncan Ave. #103 within the Cortex district.
“We’re doing this because all of our hopes and dreams depend on our health, and we want to support people in establishing healthy habits,” Canup said. “We know people have their goals – eat better, exercise more and lose weight – and they usually center around health. It’s important for us to take care of our health because we are affected by it every day. You can develop healthy habits – if you make one healthy decision and make it every day that will have a cumulative effect.”
The week’s lineup includes presentations by health and wellness professionals, workshops with strategies for achieving goals, one-on-one coaching sessions and a variety of fitness classes. Some of the fitness classes will feature glow sticks and black lights for an added element of fun.
Although the classes and workshops are taking place within the Cortex business community, the invitation is open to everyone. The events are free, open to the public, and for young and old adults alike.
“This is for the whole city of St. Louis,” Canup said, noting that 33 percent of adults in the city of St. Louis are overweight. “Our aim is for St. Louis to ‘glow’ and get healthy.”
Canup said while most people already know what they need to do to reach their goals, the classes, workshops and coaching through “A New Year’s State of Mind” can help people form an action plan and find a support group.
“There is power in being in a group,” Canup said. “It helps you stay on track, be accountable and reach your goals.”
Canup said she will be forming a six-month, goal-oriented support group that will be available for those who participate in the week’s activities and events.
Canup said Gastreich’s workshop on mastering the mind and emotions will also help people reach their goals.
“Everything really starts in the mind with what you think, so you have to learn to master your emotions and respond in a way that will have a positive outcome,” she said. “Our mind often fools us because in our brains ‘giving up’ is right next to ‘success.’ You just have to keep trying, and you need a plan.”
Canup and Gastreich hope “A New Year’s State of Mind” will help people strengthen their resolve and either continue working toward their New Year’s resolutions or start again.
“It’s never too late to start,” she said. “You just have to stay the course.”
Pre-registration is recommended for all sessions and required for some. For more information or to register for classes and workshops, visit www.anewyearsstateofmind.com or call 314-827-7427.
A Week Of Realizing Your Goals - Jan. 14-18
Monday, Jan. 14
• 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. GLOW Party at CIC@CET, 20 S. Sarah St. Come get your GLOW on and move to the music. Wear lots of white or light-colored clothing. Glow bracelets and glow tape provided.
• 12 to 1:30 p.m.: Lunch & “Set Your Goals, Make Them Happen” workshop by Shirlie Canup of Put Nutrition In Its Place, LLC, at CIC@CET “Showroom,” 20 S. Sarah St. Learn a three-step strategy to set goals and achieve them. Participants can share challenges and/or join a support group to ensure success. Lunch provided.
Tuesday, Jan. 15
• 10:50 a.m. to 12 p.m. Glow Spin Class
• 2 to 3 p.m. Chair/Yoga Aerobics
• 4:20 to 5:30 p.m. Glow Spin Class
• 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Yoga
*All Tuesday classes held at Move by BJC, 4220 Duncan Ave. #103
Wednesday, Jan. 16
• 6 to 7 a.m. Body Pump at MOVE by BJC, 4220 Duncan Ave. #103
• 12 to 1 p.m. “Mastering Mind & Emotions” at CIC@CET “Showroom,” 20 S. Sarah St. Learn, grow and lay the foundation to mastering the mind and emotions to create lasting results. Participants may bring food and drink to the workshop. Doors open at 11:30 a.m.
• 2 to 3 p.m. Chair Fitness at Move by BJC, 4220 Duncan Ave. #103
Thursday, Jan. 17
• 1:11 to 3:33 p.m. Open Office Hours with a Coach at CIC@CET “Felt Conference Room,” 20 S. Sarah St. Got a coaching question, life challenge or difficult situation? Schedule a complimentary, 30-minute coaching session with Donalee Gastreich of Complete Solutions in Life Mastery.
• 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Free Chair Massages by Move by BJC at CIC@CET “Showroom,” 20 S. Sarah St.
• 12 to 1 p.m. “Mastering Mindfulness” at CIC@CET “Showroom,” 20 S. Sarah St. Join three professionals to learn different approaches to begin or enhance a practice of mindfulness.
Friday, Jan. 18
• 12 to 1 p.m. “Pour Hour” at CIC@CET “Showroom,” 20 S. Sarah St. Three professionals share their tips, tricks and techniques on health, well-being and mindfulness. Free samples, exercises, stretches and more.
*All classes are free and open to the public. Registration is required for the workshops and spin classes, and recommended for the other sessions/activities. For more information or to RSVP for classes and workshops, visit www.anewyearsstateofmind.com or call 314-827-7427.