Registration is now open for the 18th annual Jim Schoemehl Run For ALS on Saturday, May 4, in Webster Groves.

The race starts at 7:30 a.m. at Webster Groves High School (100 Selma Ave.) with options of a 5K, 10K or 1-Mile Fun Run. This year’s theme surrounds the Kentucky Derby and will feature a children’s area with pony rides, a bounce house and other activities, plus snacks for all participants.

The run is organized by Webster Groves High School marketing students who aim to make a positive impact in the lives of families that are affected by the fatal, neurodegenerative disease known as ALS. The disease occurs when motor nerve cells in the nervous system malfunction and die, which often results in total paralysis, leaving the person unable to speak.

In partnering with the ALS Association and sponsoring families affected by the disease every year, the run has raised more than $300,000 over the past 17 years. The students have set a goal to raise $20,000 this year, with 25 percent of the proceeds going to the ALS Association and the remaining 75 percent going to support the Hart Family. Kirkwood resident Denis Hart, 79, was diagnosed with ALS in July of 2018, and has suffered many complications since.

For more information or to register for the run, visit www.jims5k.org.